Civic pride and artistic splendour. 300th anniversary of the Bose House
The 300-year-old Bose House, which is among Leipzig’s the most beautiful town houses, has seen many different inhabitants coming and going. In 1711 Georg Heinrich Bose, an affluent merchant and the owner of a manufacture for gold and silver products, moved into the house. Later he became the neighbour of J. S. Bach. Today the comfortable baroque building hosts the Bach Archive Leipzig and the Bach Museum. Throughout the centuries the house in close proximity to St. Thomas Church has been subject of numerous constructional changes, which were also being documented in this exhibition. However the focus lied on the people who lived at the Bose House. Who were the people that lived here? Which lifestyle did they have? What was important to them? The exhibition presented insights from the everyday lives of art lovers, merchants and collectors of paintings and musical instruments. In addition to that, the Bose House also hosted various publishing houses, public houses and was the venue of various troupes presenting light entertainment. A glimpse on the early history of the area around St. Thomas Square was also included, as 7,500 year-old findings proved that people already had settled here in the Neolithic Age.